Re: Postgres-R: primary key patches

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: chris <cbbrowne(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres-R: primary key patches
Date: 2008-07-18 15:47:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

sorry, some strange key-combination made my mail client send too early...

I myself wrote:
> I was trying to say that Postgres-R internally relies only on a unique
> index with not null constraint. It doesn't care if you name it PRIMARY
> KEY or REPLICATION KEY or whatever.
>
> So, it's just a question of the syntax. We already have PRIMARY KEYs,
> and those are pretty much what I think is needed in 99% of all cases as
> the pointer to the replication

.. as the pointer to the index to use for replication.

Offering the user a possibility to choose another (index + not null)
would require something like ALTER TABLE ... ADD REPLICATION KEY ... or
some such. Mostly syntactic sugar, which can be added as soon as we
really need it.

> While I'm normally an absolute fan of generality,
>
> I think you didn't quite get the point.

Iiik.. that's what I didn't want to send and wanted to delete before
sending... :-) Sorry.

Regards

Markus