Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: rguha(at)indiana(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors
Date: 2006-08-24 14:50:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Rajarshi Guha <rguha(at)indiana(dot)edu> writes:
> I have a table, A with 15 fields, out of which I am interested in 2
> fields, a and b. The table has 8,000,000 rows

> I have another table, B, which has 3 fields a, c, and d. The field a
> references field a in table A. Table B is empty at this point.

> I tried to do an insert using the following command:
> insert into B (a,c,d) select a, f1(b), f2(b) from A;

I think you are getting burnt by the list of pending trigger actions
to check the foreign-key references in B. Might be easiest to drop the
foreign key constraint, fill table B, re-add the constraint. I forget
how smart 7.4 is about adding FK constraints exactly, but it shouldn't
run out of memory anyway.