Re: Postgresql Database cant start after restore using pgBackRest

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Deo Felix <deofelix9(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Database cant start after restore using pgBackRest
Date: 2023-06-26 13:08:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 6/25/23 18:53, Deo Felix wrote:
>  I am doing backup with pgbackrest in the database server every day at
> night, I was testing to restore the backup in another server, the
> restore was successfully however the database cant start
>
> *pgbackrest --stanza=data --delta --log-level-console=detail restore*

Usually this happens when you promote a standby while the primary is
still running. The promotion of the standby will create a new timeline
(in this case 2) and then push WAL to the archive on this new timeline.

When you restore, PostgreSQL will try to recover to timeline 2 (by
default) even though timeline 2 can't be reached from timeline 1 backups
that were made after the promotion.

So, you need to instruct PostgreSQL to stay on timeline 1 rather than
try to switch to timeline 2. You can do that by setting
--target-timeline=current, i.e. stay on the timeline that was current
when the backup was made.

Regards,
-David