Re: Connecting from xp to linux server

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Simone Gadenz <s(dot)gadenz(at)geologyx(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting from xp to linux server
Date: 2008-06-09 14:39:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Simone Gadenz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is the problem I am facing.
>
> I have PG 8.3 running on a KUBUNTU installation running on a virtual
> machine. From inside the virtual machine I can use PGADMIN to manage PG
> but when I try to connect from the xp machine I have this error: "Error
> connecting to the server:FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file" .
>
> I set the permission in the pg_hba.conf on the server.
>
> The machine talk each oher, I can ping and use telnet on the 5432 port.
>
> The log on the server does not report any problem.
>
> Ideas?

If you can telnet then I would say your network and firewall is right
and the error with pg_hba.conf is where you need to look.

The pg_hba.conf is located in the data dir that you have specified for
postgresql. Is it there? What entries do you have after all the
comments? The errornous part would indicate a small syntax error or did
you edit it on windows with cr/nl characters and copy it across to linux?

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz