column aliases?

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: column aliases?
Date: 2009-11-13 14:33:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

Does PG support the notion of a colum alias? I'm not talking about "select foo as fii....", I'm thinking more along the lines of supporting 2 different names for the same column. For example, a tablle has a column named "social_security_number". Queries may ask for this column as defined ("social_security_number") but some may ask for is using "ssn".

Is there a way to assign 2 different names for the same column to support a situation like above?

I was thinking that a view might do this, but is not a direct table query. It's also not editable.

Thanks for any help !!!