Re: --enable-thread-safety bug

From: Steve Clark <sclark(at)netwolves(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: --enable-thread-safety bug
Date: 2008-03-23 15:48:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Steve Clark wrote:
>

>>I guess the real question is why we are running out of memory when
>>this option is enabled.
>>Since my app doesn't use threads that points to a memory leak in the
>>ecpg library when enable thread
>>safety is turned on.
>>

> It might be worth building ecpg with debug symbols then running your
> app, linked to that ecpg, under Valgrind. If you are able to produce
> more specific information about how the leak occurs in the context of
> your application people here may be more able to help you.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Hi Craig,

I could do that - but in my situation I am not using threads so I
really don't need --enable-thread-safety
turned on. The freebsd ports maintainer for postgresql decided
everybody should have it whether they
needed it or not. I simply deleted the option from the freebsd
makefile rebuilt the port - relinked my app
and no more problem. I just thought the postgresql developers would
want to know there was a bug. If
they don't care to investigate or trouble shoot the bug it is fine by me.

I just find it is interesting that a non-threaded program causes a
memory leak when used with postgres
libraries that are compiled with --enable-thread-safety - doesn't seem
to safe to me.

Have a nice day.

Steve