Re: MySQL to Postgres question

From: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL to Postgres question
Date: 2008-03-21 18:07:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I am not sure about 8.3 but certainly earlier releases of PostgreSQL
> would have specific dependency issues when a sequence was applied to a
> a column after the fact, versus using the serial or bigserial
> psuedo-types.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> - --
> The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/
> PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
> United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

You still get an error if creating a table that specifies a sequence
that does not exist yet. I like to control the name of the sequence,
plus the starting values or change the incrementing values.

I might have read something wrong but using serial tells PostgreSQL to
automatic transforms.

CREATE TABLE /|tablename|/ (
/|colname|/ SERIAL

CREATE SEQUENCE /|tablename|/_/|colname|/_seq;
CREATE TABLE /|tablename|/ (
/|colname|/ integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('/|tablename|/_/|colname|/_seq'));

I copied this from the help files.