Dump format for long term archiving.

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dump format for long term archiving.
Date: 2008-03-13 19:40:34
Lists: pgsql-general

If one wanted to dump some postgres databases for long term
archival storage (maybe decades), what's the recommended
dump format? Is the tar or plain text preferred, or is
there some other approach (xml? csv?) I should be looking
at instead?

Or should we just leave these in some postgres
database and keep upgrading it every few years?