Re: Problem with starting PostgreSQL server 7.4.19

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Kakoli Sen <kakolis(at)cdacb(dot)ernet(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with starting PostgreSQL server 7.4.19
Date: 2008-03-12 06:18:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Kakoli Sen wrote:
> Hi,
> Actually, I tried stopping server by 'kill `cat
> /opt/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid`. This did not work. So I used kill -9 on Red
> Hat 4.
>
> This is a test database where we are in the process of setting up. So it
> does not have live data. Still I do agree, it was not a good idea.
>
> Now, do I have to re-install PostgreSQL or is there any way out?

Well, if it's a test database you should be able to rename or remove the
data directory and then re-run initdb, since you don't care about the
data in the database.

I'm sure you want to find out why this happened, though, so maybe you
should keep the damaged database around for a while and see if anybody
here has ideas about what could've happened.

--
Craig Ringer