Re: request feature: alter view add column (or something like)

From: Tyler Erickson <tyler(dot)erickson(at)mtu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com
Subject: Re: request feature: alter view add column (or something like)
Date: 2008-03-07 16:32:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I agree with Greg's suggested improvement, and would also like to see
the ability to drop a column or change a column's datatype. Right now
it is a pretty time consuming process to 'alter' a view (i.e. figure out
the dependent views, drop the dependent views, modify the base view, add
back the dependent views) and leaves a lot of room for human error.

The 'Alter View' command introduced in 8.3 seems to be a good start, and
I hope it will be expanded to allow for adding/dropping/modifying view
columns.

- Tyler

--
Tyler A. Erickson, Ph.D.