Re: Restrict Write Users

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: Phani Prathyush Somayajula <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restrict Write Users
Date: 2023-06-20 12:05:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On 20/06/2023 13:23 CEST Phani Prathyush Somayajula <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to restrict write access to a user by restricting the user to
> have read-only on other databases on the instance. I’m using postgresql-14
> version

You should look into https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/ddl-priv.html.

Start with a user that has no privileges and grant additional privileges as
necessary give read and/or write access. The user must not be the owner of
database objects, must not be a member of an owner role, and must not be
a superuser. Also check default privileges and privileges granted to PUBLIC.

But granting privileges in one database does not affect privileges in other
databases, except for role memberships because roles are not tied to a specific
database.

--
Erik