Re: Index trouble with 8.3b4

From: Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index trouble with 8.3b4
Date: 2008-01-13 21:01:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de> writes:
>> This is a general thing I'd like to ask. If the creation of an index
>> fails, why is it nevertheless there?
>
> It's a rather ugly consequence of the fact that CREATE INDEX
> CONCURRENTLY requires more than one transaction. If the later ones
> fail, the invalid index is still there.
>
> It'd be nice to clean that up sometime, but don't hold your breath.

OK, I have my GIN failure back with CSV-HEAD:

test=# UPDATE test SET tsv = to_tsvector(text);
UPDATE 753100
test=# CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY "ts_test_tsv" ON "public"."test" USING
gin ("tsv");
ERROR: item pointer (8,23) already exists
test=# drop INDEX ts_test_tsv ;
DROP INDEX
test=# CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY "ts_test_tsv" ON "public"."test" USING
gin ("tsv");
CREATE INDEX
test=#

I have a hard time to pin it down. Currently all I can say is: It
happens the first time after I bulk load data into that table.

I cannot catch it with pg_dump -- after a restore it works. I can
reproduce it here more or less reliable. Maybe I should just bzip
$PGDATA and send it.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath