reading WAL files in python

From: Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: reading WAL files in python
Date: 2008-01-07 13:19:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all. Im having some fun trying to write my own replication system
using python. I will use the postgres own WAL archiving to write the
files, then my app will read them and do some stuff. As im not a C
programmer, im stuck in the mission of reading the binary files.

I guess im needing to know the internals of how wals archives are, how
big the buffer has to be, in order to have a complete sql command.

Can someone point some advice?
I was trying to understad src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, but seems
too difficult to me :(

Thanks!
Gerardo