Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Date: 2023-06-19 21:09:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/19/23 12:15, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2023-06-19 07:49:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
>> On 6/19/23 05:33, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>> As Francisco already pointed out, this can't work with nginx either. The
>>> client resolves the alias and the TCP packets only contain the IP
>>> address, not the alias which was used to get that address. So nginx
>>> simply doesn't have that information and therefore can't act on it.
> [...]
>>> So (again, as Francisco already wrote) the best way is probably to write
>>> a simple proxy which uses the database (not DNS) name for routing. I
>>> seem to remember that nginx has a plugin architecture for protocols so
>>> it might make sense to write that as an nginx plugin instead of a
>>> standalone server, but that's really a judgement call the programmer has
>>> to make. Another possibility would of course be to extend pgbouncer to
>>> do what the OP needs.
>> How would this work with JDBC clients?
> Same as with any other client, I guess. Any reason why it should be
> different?

That goes to my ultimate point: /why/ would this work, when the point of a
database client is to connect to a database instance on a specific port like
5432, not connect to a web server.

Obviously it does/should work, but I wouldn't know where to look to lean why.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.