Re: High Availability PostgresDB on K8s

From: Jan Kohnert <nospam001-lists(at)jan-kohnert(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Marco Schmucki <marco(dot)schmucki(at)revendex(dot)com>
Subject: Re: High Availability PostgresDB on K8s
Date: 2022-08-19 18:09:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Am Freitag, 19. August 2022, 17:09:35 CEST schrieb Marco Schmucki:
> I want to run an HA-Postgres-DB on a Kubernetes cluster for testing purposes
> (Proof of Concept).
>
> Do you have some links or documentation?

We're usually using Bitnami's Helm charts [1], [2] to deploy PostgreSQL into
our K8S clusters. They also have -ha variants that might fit your needs,
though I haven't tested them myself.

Be aware, that you'll get a single-master-multiple-replica, so you still only
have one Postgres-instance actually *writing* data. As long as most of the
traffic is reading traffic, that might just work well; if you have a lot of
writing traffic, you will be limited by the master pod, the node it is running
on, and of course the underlying PVC.

If you need multi-master, you might have a look at CockroachDB [3] which
mostly Postgres-compatible.

[1] https://bitnami.com/stack/postgresql/helm
[2] https://github.com/bitnami/charts/tree/master/bitnami/postgresql/
#installing-the-chart