Re: Build with LTO / -flto on macOS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Build with LTO / -flto on macOS
Date: 2024-06-04 16:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> With the native compiler tooling on macOS, it is not safe to assume
> anything, including that the man pages are accurate or that the
> documented options actually work correctly and don't break anything
> else. Unless we have actual testing on all the supported macOS
> versions, I don't believe it.

Relevant to this: I wonder what we think the supported macOS versions
are, anyway. AFAICS, the buildfarm only covers current (Sonoma)
and current-1 (Ventura) major versions, and only the latest minor
versions in those OS branches.

I share Peter's unwillingness to assume that Apple hasn't randomly
fixed or broken stuff across toolchain versions. Their track record
fully justifies that lack of trust.