Re: PostgreSQL on the internet

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on the internet
Date: 2007-12-03 17:05:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Bob Pawley wrote:
> At the moment the database dump is 4.1 meg.
>
> I suspect the end result will be less than 10 meg including the user's
> information.
>
> Is there other size information you need?

Well, you'll want estimates of:
1. Total number of users (assuming you don't drop the database on the
server-side).
2. Total number of concurrent users
3. Their activity patterns

At a wild guess, your limiting factor will be one of:
1. User upload speed (they might be on a slow ADSL/wifi link)
2. Database creation

I'd be tempted to have the local app send a checksum to the server and
see if it needs to upload the DB at all.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd