Re: Summary: Options for PGCon Europe

From: Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Summary: Options for PGCon Europe
Date: 2007-11-26 16:54:31
Lists: pgeu-general

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 14:37 +0100, Robert Gravsjö wrote:
>> After re-reading the mailing list and a little discussion on
>> #postgresql-eu it seems to me there are two viable options for PGCon
>> Europe:
>>
>> 1) AT/Vienna
>> 2) IT/Prato
>
> 3) Istanbul, Turkey.
>
> I've been talking to the folks who are organizing Guadec (Gnome Users
> and Developers Conference) 2008 in Istanbul, and waiting for final
> confirmation from them. One of the guys from them are CC'ed to this
> e-mail.u
>
> The plan is to make this conference at ITU (http://www.itu.edu.tr/e/ )
> -- so that we can both have accommodation + conference rooms at the same
> place. Given that these folks organize Turkey's most important open
> source event every year (since 2002, and 1500+ people attend those
> conferences each yearh), they have enough experience for PGDay.
>
> Istanbul has some advantages, like we have many people to host speakers,
> attendees, etc. You can find food of various cultures -- and no need to
> say, beer is cheap (and you can drink beer near sea, etc) ;) Seriously,
> people can find time to see the beauties of Istanbul, which is also a
> very good opportunity for a 1-week holiday :) I have also talked to some
> local companies in TR for sponsorship issues.
>
> ITU's advantages are:
>
> * Easy transportation
> * Near city center.
> * we can record the talks
> * No need to pay for the conference -- a small amount will be enough (I
> think)
> * etc etc.
>
> Also, we can invite people from Turkish Government + companies and
> people will be aware of PostgreSQL more and more.

To me this sounds great!

> As I wrote, I'm still waiting for final confirmation from them -- but
> can we please hold the poll for 4-5 days?

I don't see any problems with this.

First I must admit I thought "oh no, another option to be discussed back
and forth", but you put it very nicely and didn't leave room for many
questions. A good presentation of Istanbul as a viable option.

One question comes to mind though; Wasn't being a member of Schengen set
as a requirement for PGCon Europe?

Regards,
roppert