Re: PostgreSQL clustering (shared disk)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikko Partio" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Douglas McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering (shared disk)
Date: 2007-08-17 13:59:26
Lists: pgsql-general

"Mikko Partio" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> This was my original intention. I'm still quite hesitant to trust the
> fencing devices ability to quarantee that only one postmaster at a time is
> running, because of the disastrous possibility of corrupting the whole
> database.

Making that guarantee is a fencing device's only excuse for existence.
So I think you should trust that a properly-implemented fence will do
what it's claimed to do.

On the other side of the coin, I have little confidence in DRBD
providing the storage semantics we need (in particular guaranteeing
write ordering). So that path doesn't sound exactly risk-free either.