Re: Is there a way to tell how far along a COPY is in the process?

From: andy <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell how far along a COPY is in the process?
Date: 2007-11-05 20:09:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Keaton Adams wrote:

> I’m looking for a way to see how many rows have been processed while a
> COPY is actually running. I can’t seem to find a pg_stat table/view
> that will give me this level of visibility into the process.
>
> Is there any way to do this, to tell the number of rows processed during
> a COPY into a table while the COPY is still running?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keaton

I use this little perl function:

sub runscript($)
{
my $fname = pop;
open(F, $fname) or die;
print "executing $fname\n";
my $sql = <F>;
$db->do($sql) or die 'cant start copy';
my $c = 0;
while (<F>)
{
$db->pg_putline($_);
if ($c % 10_000 == 0) {
print "$c\r";
if ($stop) { die; }
}
$c++;
}
print "$c total\n";
$db->pg_endcopy;
unlink($fname);
}

The first line in the file needs to be the sql copy command, like:

print F "copy junk(id, name, address) from stdin;\n";

The following lines are the data, like:

print F "$id\t$name\t$add\n";

-Andy