Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Hunter <hunteke(at)earlham(dot)edu>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Postgres WWW List <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Training events policy ... first test case
Date: 2007-11-04 16:49:04
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:53:47 -0500 Chander Ganesan
> <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> I understand, however the issue now isn't one of growth...IMHO it's one of
>> growth being stymied because we have a list of training events that doesn't
>> represent classes *actually* being offered. Seems like at the very least a
>> short term "band aid" solution could be applied while we try to figure out a
>> way to adequately and fairly address the issue... I'm sure as time goes on
>> we'll come to better understand the needs of companies that legitimately
>> offer training courses.
>>

> How is this much different then universities / colleges that offer Course
> timeslot X/Y and Z, but cancel slot Z because there wasn't enough enrollment to
> make it worth doign?

I think the University has the intention of offering the class, they
also have an established and published rule in regard to the criteria to
offer the course, they have an instructor that is slated and available
to teach the class in advance, they have a facility that is "reserved"
in advance for the event, etc. I could go on and on.... In our case,
we've got companies that are using the training list for lead
generation, to sell PG related services and/or training. One such
company in question apparently lists themselves as a consulting company
that also offers PG training (refer to the PG services page).

If someone goes to the training page, they see 20+ events, all in
different cities, some of which are "close by" to them..so they give
them a call. They then get a market pitch for an on-site course, PG
consulting services, or "herded" into a different class in a different
cities, where they try to "pool" sufficient people for a class. It's a
common technique in the training industry...

It's no different than, say CMD, listing training events so they can
gain leads for on-site training or PG services. They don't do it (and I
doubt that JD would stoop to that level), but it illustrates the point.

From my perspective, we offer a quality product...in a competitive
market, with above-the-board business practices we've been able to
flourish - as have a number of others (Modern, BNR, EDB, etc). I'd hate
to see companies stop offering PG training, or reduce the frequency of
such courses, because of such practices by others. As Tom said, he
recognizes there is a problem...I think most of us do...

chander

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.