Re: problem with a column of type timestamp

From: brian <brian(at)zijn-digital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with a column of type timestamp
Date: 2007-10-16 16:27:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Sascha Bohnenkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table of type timestamp.
> I get the following error when I try to insert som edata to it:
>
> PGRES_FATAL_ERROR
> column "birthtime" is of type timestamp without time zone but expression
> is of type time without time zone You will need to rewrite or cast the
> expression.

Sascha, the error is occuring because you are not including the date for
column birthtime. A timestamp column expects both a date and a time, eg:

2007-10-16 12:22:53

It appears as if you are attempting to insert just the '12:22:53' part.
If you prepend the date to that it should work just fine.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/datatype-datetime.html

> how can I set the timezone?

The timezone is irrelevant to the problem. But if you do wish to store
the timezone, you'll have to alter the column so that it expects it.

ALTER TABLE your_table ALTER COLUMN birthtime TIMESTAMP WITH TIMEZONE;

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-altertable.html

brian