Solutions for listening on multiple ports?

From: "Jason L(dot) Buberel" <jason(at)buberel(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Solutions for listening on multiple ports?
Date: 2007-10-09 16:22:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there a 'generally accepted' best practice for enabling a single
postgres instance to listen for client connections on more than one
ip/port combination?

As far as I can tell, the 'listen_address' and 'port' configuration
variables can only accommodate single values:

listen_address = 127.0.0.1
port = 5432

What I would like to simulate is Apache's notation:

Listen: 127.0.0.1:5432
Listen: 192.168.0.1:54824

The force behind this is network security policies and such. I would
prefer to not resort to kernel-level netfilter trickery to accomplish
this, if possible.

Thanks,
Jason