Large Result and Memory Limit

From: Mike Ginsburg <mginsburg(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Result and Memory Limit
Date: 2007-10-04 19:26:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I am working on a personnel registry that has upwards of 50,000
registrants. Currently I am working on an export module that will
create a CSV from multiple tables. I have managed to keep the script
(PHP) under the memory limit when creating and inserting the CSV into
the database. The problem comes when I try to query for the data and
export it. Memory limit is a major concern, but the query for one row
returns a result set too large and PHP fails.

I've thought about storing the data in multiple rows and then querying
one-by-one and outputting, but was hoping there was a better way.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MG

Mike Ginsburg
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.
mginsburg(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com
412-422-3463 x4015