Using RETURNING with INTO inside pgsql

From: "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using RETURNING with INTO inside pgsql
Date: 2007-09-21 05:12:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Not really a question here, I just wanted to share my joy with the
group. I'm loving the new RETURNING clause in PostgreSQL. This is
really cool stuff ...

-------------------- 8< --------------------
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."testfunc" () RETURNS bigint AS
$body$
DECLARE
my_var BIGINT;
BEGIN
INSERT INTO tryit (col1, col2)
VALUES ('a', 'b')
RETURNING prikey
INTO my_var;

RETURN my_var;
END;
$body$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

I never do anything this trivial inside a stored proc, but the point is
not what I'm doing but rather how it's done. That RETURNING clause
really helps reduce the amount of SQL I have to write. PostgreSQL 8.2.4
rocks!

-- Dante