What is the best way to merge two disjoint tables?

From: Chansup Byun <Chansup(dot)Byun(at)sun(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What is the best way to merge two disjoint tables?
Date: 2007-09-07 16:05:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Gurus,

I have two disjoint tables, for examples, of user lists.

Some users appear both tables. They may or may not have the same u_id.
Some users only appear one table.

I would like to merge tableB into tableA with the condition that each
user has a unique id.
Also I would like to keep u_id in the tableB. This requires to modify
u_id of tableA if there are matching users but different u_id.
Also those users only in tableA should change their u_id, if needed, to
avoid any conflict with u_id from tableB.

Can someone show me an example SQL statement?

tableA:
u_user | u_id
----------+------
user1 | 46