Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (Maybe OFFTOPIC)

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: apoc9009(at)yahoo(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (Maybe OFFTOPIC)
Date: 2007-09-07 14:53:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

apoc9009 wrote:
> Translation for you:
> A Backup is a File or Set of Files thadt contains the Data of your
> Business critical Informations.
> It should not be Archived on the same place, the same House or the same
> Room.

I disagree, a backup does not necessarily have to be a single file or a
set of files. Wikipedia has this definition:

"backup refers to making copies of data so that these additional
copies may be used to restore the original after a data loss event."

While for "replica", it states:

"replica is a copy that is relatively indistinguishable from the
original"

Thus a backup can very well be thought of as replica, and vice versa.

> A Replication Database has nothing to do with a Backup, it works only
> for Failover if the Primary
> Database has a Mailfunction.

That's certainly plain wrong, see multi-master replication where
failover doesn't make any sense. Wikipedia again (although that's
unfair, as I've contributed to that definition myself) [1]:

"Replication is the process of sharing information so as to ensure
consistency between redundant resources"

..for example a master database and a backup.

> Keep in Mind: Backup is NOT Replication!
> Write it down 100 times and maybe you understand

A backup IS a replica. A backup IS a replica. A backup IS a replica. A
backup IS a replica...

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_%28computer_science%29