Re: a provocative question?

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: TJ O'Donnell <tjo(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a provocative question?
Date: 2007-09-06 19:16:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> "TJ O'Donnell" <tjo(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
>
>> I ran across this quote on Wikipedia at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudora_%28e-mail_client%29
>> "Text files are also much safer than databases, in that should disk
>> corruption occur, most of the mail is likely to be unaffected, and any
>> that is damaged can usually be recovered."

Should probably insert as well the standard disclaimer about Wikipedia.
Great source of info, but that particular sentence has not been
corrected yet by the
forces-that-dictate-everything-ends-up-correct-sooner-or-later to point
out the design trade-offs between simple systems like files (or paper
for that matter) vs more complex but safer systems such as databases.

And no, I wont write it.... :)

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.