Accessing pg_timezone_names system view

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: 'PostgreSQL' <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Accessing pg_timezone_names system view
Date: 2007-08-17 13:51:52
Lists: pgsql-general

I was wondering if there is any reason that accessing the system view
pg_timezone_names is extremely slow relative to other queries. The
following query:

SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names;

Executes in between 29ms and 32ms on my server. It takes about the same
when I put a

WHERE name = 'some/timezone'

clause in it. To put this into perspective, on the pages that execute
this, it accounts for something like 3/4 of my DB execution time.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I'm talking about:

http://www.mrnaz.com/dbetime.gif

As you can see, the execution of that single fetch dwarfs all other
processing loads. I've run this a few times, and the timings are always
roughly the same. Is there a way for me to speed this up? Would I be
better off loading these into a static table and executing from there?
It seems kinda purpose defeating to do that though. Perhaps this has
been addressed in 8.3 ? I eagerly await.

Regards,
- Naz