Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Steve Howe" <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date: 2002-09-10 07:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What is the difference
> between a trigger, a rule and an instead rule from a business process
> oriented point of view? I think there is none at all. They are just
> different techniques to do one and the same, implement
> business logic in the database system.

The difference is how other db's work. They all ignore triggers and constraints
in the sqlca.sqlerrd[2] "number of processed rows" count, that I see identical to our
affected rows count. They all have views, but not many have rules :-) Pg's "instead rules"
are the toolkit for views, and as such need special handling, imho.

Andreas