Re: Postgresql service account issue!?

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Thomas Foster <THOMFOST(at)uk(dot)ibm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql service account issue!?
Date: 2007-08-08 13:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Foster wrote:
> I have an issue regarding the PostgreSQL service account on my
> machine. I work for IBM and I have to fulfil security checks for my
> machine to make sure its safe. Anyway, it is flagging up the problem
> that my account for postgres doesnt have a screensaver set with a
> password?? Any ideas on what is causing this and how this can be
> resolved?? Is it possible to set a screensaver password for a postgres
> service account?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If you never log in as postgres from a GUI, then it doesn't matter. The
security checker should realize that the account is not a user account.

On my system

$ grep postgres /etc/passwd
postgres:x:26:26:PostgreSQL Server:/var/lib/pgsql:/bin/bash

$ grep postgres /etc/shadow
postgres:!!:13665:0:99999:7:::

It is not possible to login as postgres directly.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark(at)mielke(dot)cc>