Re: Linux distro

From: Bruce McAlister <bruce(dot)mcalister(at)blueface(dot)ie>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>, paolo(at)ecometer(dot)it, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux distro
Date: 2007-08-05 01:42:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> 2. Mac OSX is proprietary even down to the hardware. That is enough for
> me to not use it. I gave up the whole IBM/SUN/SGI/HP fiasco of closed
> door unix and hardware a decade ago.
Wow :) Maybe you need to re-visit Sun gear again, OpenSolaris,
OpenCluster are only but a subset of the unix tools that Sun have
provided to the OSS community. Although, as a desktop, SX (Solars
Express) is as freindly as you will currently get, hjopefully it will
get better. However, IMHO, there is *no* better OE than Solaris (Except
maybe Slackware), given the choice, Solaris every time, just cannot beat
the scalability and robustness of the OE :)