Re: several postgres installations on the same machine?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: Anoo Sivadasan Pillai <aspillai(at)in(dot)rm(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: several postgres installations on the same machine?
Date: 2007-07-20 07:44:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Zlatko Matić wrote:
> Hi. If I understood correctly, this blog describes how to create
> second instance that is linked to first (the same service acount
> user)? But, I want to know whether it is possible to have second
> instance completely independent, not influencing each other?

Yes, just make sure you give each it's own user account and run it on a
different port (typically default on 5432, next on 5433 etc).
They will of course all compete for resources on the machine, but
otherwise I don't see why Windows should be different from *nix.

Lots of people run multiple different versions on the various
Linux/BSD/Mac OS-X boxes they have, but there's no reason why they
couldn't be the same version.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd