Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?
Date: 2007-06-17 14:45:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/17/07 00:19, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> Anyway... databases are always(?) IO bound. I'd try to figure out how
>> to make a bigger hose (or more hoses) between the spindles and the mobo.
>
> What I keep waiting for is the drives with flash memory built-in to
> mature. I would love to get reliable writes that use the drive's cache
> for instant fsyncs, instead of right now where you have to push all that
> to the controller level.

But drive-based flash memory will always be a fixed size, and only
for that drive.

Controller-based cache is expandable and caches the whole RAID set
(besides being battery-backed). And if you *still* need more cache,
rip out that controller and put in a more expensive one, or
transition to "plain" SCSI cards and a storage controller.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA