Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: MC Moisei <mcmoisei(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postmaster processes taking all the CPU
Date: 2007-06-11 09:01:36
Lists: pgsql-general

MC Moisei wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the question. What else runs on it ?I have an Apache that fronts a Tomcat (Java Enterprise App Server). In tomcat I only run this application that has a connection pool of 30 connections(if I remember correctly).Once the application starts to open connections it looks that the each postmaster associated with the connection is not exiting as fast as was before. I can follow up with a ps -aux capture if you think that's helpful. Till yesterday all was working smoothly for about 2 years. It looks like the postmasters are not finishing of if they do takes a good while to finish. Also I've seen that the swap increases. I never use to have swap used. I don't have space problems not errors in the syslog.Am I running out of memory and all gets delayed by the swap handling ? I have the feeling that I spin around my tail. So these processes are taking all the CPU and memory and they hold for too long just doing a select. The traffic didn't increase by any me
ans so one can say that causes the problem - at one point it sustained 4 times more traffic without problems.Hope this provide more insight.MC> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:35:40 -0400> From: ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postmaster processes taking all the CPU> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 03:20:28PM -0500, MC Moisei wrote:> > > > pack of postmaster(4-22) processes ran by postgres user are taking> > over almost all the CPU. > > What else is the box doing? If it doesn't have any other work to do,> why shouldn't postgres use the CPU time? (This is a way of saying,> "You didn't tell us anything that would allow us to help.")> > A> > -- > Andrew Sullivan | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-> garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism. > --Brad Holland> > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------> TIP 4: Have

Could you please send your messages as plain text? Your mail client is
doing something foul to the plain text alternative incorporated in the
multi-part message. It's almost unreadable this way.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.