Re: The trap when using pg_dumpall

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The trap when using pg_dumpall
Date: 2021-07-04 21:32:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Jul 4, 2021, at 2:04 AM, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Well, I never store the

Well, as long as we’re stating I never’s — let me state mine; I never consider a logical backup (pg_dump) a proper backup. They have their use cases and are a very useful tool; however, I would considered a production database without a physical backup as not being backed up. Logical backups don’t allow for PITR recovery and are very slow in comparison. I only use logical backups for migrations, etc. - more as a tool rather than a backup strategy.

A good practice would be to have a separate instance that can instantiate a point in time recovery. This would allow for the reviewing/exporting required data needed to resolve a given issue.