Re: libpq compatibility policy across versions

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq compatibility policy across versions
Date: 2013-10-01 18:50:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:

> I am asking how I must compile my source code and how to link, to build
> my binary, to be sure that it's compatible with PostgreSQL 8.3, and
> any in fact any existing PostgreSQL versions.

As an example, if your binary calls PQescapeLiteral() and your end user
has libpq.so.5.1 which ships with PostgreSQL 8.3, then the dynamic link
will fail because this version of libpq lacks this function.

Not sure if that disqualifies it as backward compatible. It depends
on your interpretation.

Best regards,
--
Daniel