Thousands of errors...what happened?

From: Jerry Levan <jerry(dot)levan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Thousands of errors...what happened?
Date: 2014-03-24 16:14:52
Lists: pgsql-general

The other day I attempted to connect to my 9.3.2 postgresql data base and my connection
attempts kept failing.

I found about 100000 lines in the log file that looked like:

ERROR: could not seek to end of file "global/12292": Too many open files
LOG: out of file descriptors: Too many open files; release and retry
[...]
LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2014-03-01 07:49:58 CST
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: record with zero length at 0/1BD6680
LOG: redo is not required
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
LOG: autovacuum launcher started
LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2014-03-15 07:35:29 CDT
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: record with zero length at 0/1BE41F4
LOG: redo is not required
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
LOG: autovacuum launcher started

I could not stop the postgresql server so I had to reboot the system (:

I am the only user of the db and I use the rascal spareinly.

Any idea what the problem could have been?

Jerry