Re: Fwd: temp_file_limit?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frits Jalvingh <jal(at)etc(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: temp_file_limit?
Date: 2022-12-18 19:28:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

Frits Jalvingh <jal(at)etc(dot)to> writes:
> Just to be clear: my real question is: why is temp_file_limit not working
> at the specified size?

I've not looked at that code lately, but I strongly suspect that
it's implemented in such a way that it's a per-process limit, not a
per-session limit. So each parallel worker could use up that much
space.

It's also possible that you've found an actual bug, but without
a reproducer case nobody's going to take that possibility too
seriously. We're unlikely to accept "the limit should work
across multiple processes" as a valid bug though. That would
require a vastly more complicated implementation.