Re: Joining the team

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: "P(dot) Dwayne Miller" <dmiller(at)espgroup(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joining the team
Date: 2001-06-22 17:21:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
> You usually start out as a user, find out the development environment,
> etc, etc, use it for your project, then you find that there are few things
> about a project that really make you itch. Then you scratch that itch, and
> hopefully send your patch to the team. :)

Right. Another comment is that there is no "required development
environment". Ideally Postgres should run on pretty nearly any Unix-ish
operating system and pretty nearly any ANSI-C-ish compiler and C
library. So use whatever floats your boat. If things don't work
nicely, then you've got your first project: port to your preferred
platform. I know one of the first things I had to do when I started
using Postgres was clean up some problems with its portability to HPUX.