Re: Using C# to create stored procedures

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using C# to create stored procedures
Date: 2007-04-03 07:24:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Andrus wrote:
>> Last change for this project was 3 years ago.
>> So I think that it is dead.
>>
>> I'm writing application in C#.
>> I expected that I can wrote stored procedures in C# also using
>> something like mod_mono in Apache.
>>
>> So it seems that most reasonable way is to learn dreaded plpgsql
>> language and write stored procedures in it.
>
> Who dreads PL/pgSQL? It's a pretty easy language to learn.

It's fairly easy and fairly good as long as you're doing "db kind of
things". There are other things that are harder to do - which is why we
support a wide range of languages like perl, tcl, python, php, java etc.

Speaking of which - you might want to look into PL/Java, given that Java
syntax is fairly similar to C#. But if what you do is suitable for
pl/pgsql, it's probably a better idea to use that one.

> Granted,
> not as easy as one you already know, but I'm not aware of any RDBMS that
> supports C# as a stored procedure language.

Both MS SQL Server and IBM DB2 (on windows) supports .net stored
procedures in C#, VB, or any other .net hosted language. There may be
others that do as well, but those are the two I know of.

//Magnus