Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload

From: John Meyer <john(dot)l(dot)meyer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload
Date: 2007-03-22 03:01:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm setting up phpPgAdmin and I finally get to the point where you
reconfigure pg_hba.conf One of the lines says to reload the values,
type the command pg_ctl reload. I try it as super user, no go, I su
into postgres, it complains:

pg_ctl reload
pg_ctl: no database directory specified and environment variable PGDATA
unset
Try "pg_ctl --help" for more information.

Keeping in mind that I typed just what pga_hba.conf said, was there a
step I was missing (I ended up restarting the server and that worked).