Re: Planner tuning

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planner tuning
Date: 2007-03-20 17:12:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Dmitry Koterov wrote:
> I don't know exactly is it your case, but sometimes
>
> SET enable_sort = off;
>
> speeds up some queries by the factor of hundred. But in some cases this
> command slows down operations, so I TEMPORARILY switch enable_sort on and
> off for some queries. It affects the query plan greatly.

As you may have noticed, there's no sort in my query plan ;)

Seriously, I do not intend to use options like these in production
queries. They're not meant to be used like that.

It usually means you're trying to do something more complicated than
necessary - I achieved improved results by cleaning up my design,
removing hacks that appeared useful while we were still using PG 7.4.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.