Change seconds argument of make_*() functions to numeric

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Change seconds argument of make_*() functions to numeric
Date: 2020-12-17 16:43:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Along with the discussed change of the return type of EXTRACT from
float8 to numeric [0], I was looking around what other date/time APIs
might be using float arguments or return values. The only thing left
appears to be the functions make_time, make_timestamp, make_timestamptz,
and make_interval, which take an argument specifying the seconds, which
has type float8 right now. I'm proposing the attached patch to change
that to numeric.

Can we change the arguments, as proposed here, or do we need to add
separate overloaded versions and leave the existing versions in place?

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/42b73d2d-da12-ba9f-570a-420e0cce19d9(at)phystech(dot)edu

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Change-seconds-argument-of-make_-functions-to-numeri.patch text/plain 15.4 KB