Re: Issue with copying data from a text file.

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Phillip Smith <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with copying data from a text file.
Date: 2007-03-20 02:44:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

Phillip Smith wrote:
> Can you not export the source file with escape characters? ie,
>
> ^17\" Alloy Wheels^
>
> ~p

The source file comes from extracts on our main application which sits
inside an in-house pretending-to-be-a-dbms file system. The content of
these extracts would be difficult to change - the extract program would
need to parse the data looking for quotes and preceed them with the
necessary escape character.

Not being a proper database dump it's not a simple matter of flicking a
switch to get it to include the escape character. The way the extracts
are written would require a few dozen lines of code to each extract, and
theres about 40ish extracts.

Plus I don't maintain that side of our code, and those that do can be a
bit lazy and I'd likely be waiting months to get it done - if they even
decide to do it.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator