Re: How to enforce uniqueness when NULL values are present?

From: Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to enforce uniqueness when NULL values are present?
Date: 2007-03-17 09:21:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for your tips. I think I will change the tables and use some
minimal date instead of a null value to represent a constraint that is
valid all the time. An additional advantage of this approach is that I
can then make sure that the time intervals (I not only have a start
date, but also an end date) don't overlap.
Nevertheless, I think that there are some examples where a null value
does not exactly mean "unknown". But this is beyond the scope of this
discussion.

Regards,
Christian

--
Deriva GmbH Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting Fax: +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer