Tabulate data incrementally

From: Omar Eljumaily <omar2(at)omnicode(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tabulate data incrementally
Date: 2007-03-08 15:00:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to tabulate time data on a weekly basis, but my data is entered
on a daily basis.

create table time_data
{
employee varchar(10),
_date date,
job varchar(10),
amount
}

So I want to tabulate with a single sql command. Is that possible?

If I had a separate week end table
create table week_ends
{
end_date date
}

I could do something like.

select *, (select sum(amount) from time_data where _date > end_date - 7
and _data <= end_date) from week_ends;

But the week_end table would be a pain to manage for a number of
reasons. Is it possible to do this without the week_end table?

Thanks.