Does it has a way to compact the database size?

From: "Premsun Choltanwanich" <Premsun(at)nsasia(dot)co(dot)th>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Does it has a way to compact the database size?
Date: 2007-03-06 08:28:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear All,

I use PostgreSQL 8.0.3 for store my data started on Sep'06. Today, I
use database_size('name') function for checking my database size and
found that it's about 1209715345.

I think that something maybe wrong on my database because I backup my
database everyday and the backup size is about 10 MB. So I restore
databse from my backup file then use database_size('name') function
again and found that database size is about 56642193.

I can said both 1209715345 and 56642193 are coming from the same
database but I wonder that why it quiet difference on size.

Any Idea?
And How can I control or compact my database size for make it smallest
as possibled?

NETsolutions Asia Limited
+66 (2) 237 7247
http://www.nsasia.co.th