Re: automatic password for pg_dump to be used for a batch file in vb6

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: oliver rombaoa <watsamalayu(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automatic password for pg_dump to be used for a batch file in vb6
Date: 2007-02-15 17:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

oliver rombaoa wrote:
> i want to add database backup to my program i developed in visual basic 6, of course i can save the syntax for pg_dump in a batch file and call it inside vb6 via "shell", but my problem is that the batch file executes but stops to prompt for a password. how can i supply a password to it automatically or i mean within visual basic 6 so that no user interaction is needed, i don't mind about the security since only the administrator has access for the program. please, any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

1. pgsql-hackers is not really the right list to ask this question. In
future, please ask usage question on pgsql-general
2. have your vb program write out a pgpass file, if necessary also
setting up the PGPASSFILE environment setting in the .bat file to point
to it.
2-a. alternatively, use some auth method that does not require use of
passwords.

cheers

andrew