[Pljava-dev] Portal object leak

From: ryan at hyperstep(dot)com (Ryan Holmes)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Portal object leak
Date: 2007-01-13 03:54:43
Lists: pljava-dev

I have a PL/Java trigger that leaks a large number of
org.postgresql.pljava.internal.Portal objects. The leak occurs under
PostgreSQL 8.1 with PL/Java 1.3.0 and under 8.2 with the version of
PL/Java that is included with the Windows installer. I get the same
results with multiple versions of Windows (XP and Server 2003) and with
1.5 and 1.6 JVMs.

So far, my attempts to isolate the leak have been fruitless (the code
path is about 500 lines). I can say that from a pure Java perspective,
there is no obvious reason for the leak. Furthermore, the only
references to the Portal objects are JNI global references so there is
no chain of references from our code to these objects.

Does anyone know what could cause PL/Java to create Portal objects but
not clean them up? At this point, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for
and the only option I have left is to rebuild or comment out the code
"one line at a time" until I can isolate the behavior.

I don't mind posting the code in question (it's a set of auditing
triggers and supporting methods) but, as I mentioned, there's quite a
bit of it.

Thanks,
-Ryan